making the effort.
seems like a simple concept.
put your best foot forward.
do the best that you can with what you have to offer.
simple, right?
not always.
tonight after returning from an out of town work obligation I quickly checked my email at work and then headed over to the soccer field. the middle was playing soccer tonight. i set up my chair and sat down to watch. his coach is yelling his name across the field he is NOT paying attention. he is standing around. he's resting his hands on his knees. I'm thinking who is this kid? why is he not even trying? did he get hurt before I got here? what gives?
I'm wanting to run out on the field and grab him. give him a little mother-son pep talk. don't get me wrong I'm not expecting greatness here I'm just looking for a little effort.
after the game i inquire as to what the problem was. his response basically was "what we were already losing; why keep trying". WHAT?!?! is this the attitude that I am passing on to this child. is this the behavior that i am modeling for him!?! Lord help me if I am!
there I stood on the soccer field feeling so frustrated with this child of mine. must be time to re-tool this mama's bag of parenting skills. obviously something is not being properly communicated here.
how did "do your best and if you still lose it's okay you did your best" turn into "do your best until you start to lose and then throw in the towel it's not worth the effort"?
i know a little dramatic for a Wednesday night soccer game but these are the small moments that can define us as parents. needless to say we had a discussion about the value of making your best effort every time you are playing a game.
but tonight I'm wondering if i don't need to take some of my own advise. after all who is he learning from?
oh how raising your children requires so much growing up of your own!
so here's to making the effort each and every day.
it will be worth it! I just know it!
3 comments:
Great post. I hate when I see myself in those kinds of ordinary moments, but it does make me want to grow and change.
bring on the GREAT posts ... seriously! :)
These have been GREAT! Thanks for the reminder to give 100% every day!!
I agree! Great post.... Hope you are having a great week!
Post a Comment