September 16, 2008

Gutting it out

What does that mean?


"To show pluck and perseverance in the face of opposition or adversity"


Folks this little family is "gutting it out" this fall. Just keeping our heads above water and hoping this schedule gets under control SOON!!



This was our Tuesday:

Kristie:

5:30 am ignore alarm, skip morning run

6:30 am get up

7:45 head to the office and work

12:00 birthday lunch with friend; return to work

3:30 Site council meeting at HHE

4:30 meet friend for early dinner and much needed face time

5:30 open house HHE

6:30 soccer game

7:30 check homework; sign agenda's; and bedtime for kiddos

8:15 run on treadmill (in case anyone cares...4o minutes, 4 miles, 600 calories...)

9:00 blogging

Ted:

6:30 am get up

7:00 get kids ready for school; make lunches

7:55 take Justin and William to school

8:10 get John to bus stop for preschool

8:30 take John to preschool because bus driver forgot to pick him up

10:30 pick up William from school

11:30 get John from bus stop (the bus did remember to bring him home)

12:00 lunch for William and John

1:00 William and John homework

2:30 pick up Justin from school

in amongst all those pick ups and drop offs were laundry, dusting, vacuuming, dishes

5:00 dinner

5:30 get boys ready for soccer game

6:00 coach soccer game

7:30 check homework; sign agenda's; kids in bed

8:00 hit the recliner with homegrown sunflower seeds, a soda and the remote

Yep, this is how we roll and it's only Tuesday! Praise Jesus for His strength that keeps us going each and every day!

So what's my point? At the moment I'm struggling for clarity in exactly how to share this but I can tell you for sure it's not to show how awesome and put together we are.

My point is this, look around you, no matter what kind of day you had, what struggle you are going through, what you schedule looks like, there is likely to be someone that is having greater difficulty that you could reach out to lend a hand. To lighten the load of another. Christ calls us to serve; to serve each other with His kind of love and His kind of compassion.

This past week a gentleman was unable to attend a meeting because his son's doctor told him that it was time to make funeral arrangements. What kind of a week do you think that man is having this week? That really puts things in perspective for me.

Don't get me wrong I am just as guilty of focusing on myself and my issues as the next person. But if we would each take a moment; look outside our little bubble and find one person to lift up...a friend, a stranger, a co-worker...just one act of kindness could mean all the difference in the world to someone who is having a bad day.

If you know a mother that works outside of the home offer to bring her dinner so she can spend a few extra minutes with her kids instead of struggling to get dinner on the table. If you know a SAHM offer to take her kids for a couple hours so she can grocery shop alone. Short on time; pray! What better way to support each other than to pray for one another. Pray for God to show you one person that needs you this week and fill that one need.

"Be the change that you want to see in this world" Gandhi

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I agree with you 100%. Short on time then pray.

Thank you for this post!

Lindsay said...

Great post... for all of us! We all (no matter what our role is) need encouragement and support. We all deal with different stresses and some never seem to go away. :)

Prayer, a phone call, an email hello - they all help... just to know that you're not alone out there trying to swim and not sink!

Love to you today as you continue to make it through each and every day - HEAD ON!!

Katie said...

What a fun peek into your busy lives. Have a nice Wednesday....see you tonight!

Sarah said...

great post, Kristie!!!

Just yesterday I had a lady bless me like crazy! I took the girls to WinCo, which was going great til I remembered that I have to bag my own groceries and that totally freaks me out because it takes me so long.

Anywho.

A lady finished bagging her groceries and offered to help me bag mine. I usually blow people off that try to help me but this time I just accepted it and it was fun!!!

Okay, now that I took over the comments section...I think I'll go now! :)

Love you!

Crystal said...

Very well said!! We all could find someone who has had a harder day. I'm not sure if it's the same family you mentioned about funeral arrangements but I know a family going through the same thing and it's made me so heavy in heart. I appreciate your wisdom as I needed a good dose tonight!

Anonymous said...

This made me tired just reading it! I hope you are having a wonderful day!