June 22, 2008

One thing

In reading the last chapter of "Have a Mary heart in a Martha World" by Joanna Weaver I was compelled to share this passage:

Instead of trying in my own strength to mesh Living Room intimacy with Kitchen Service, I started focusing on Christ alone. Instead of fretting about what was and was not getting done, I began to surrender my days to the Lord, asking him to direct my paths. "You know what needs to be done today, Lord. Show me the 'one thing' and I'll do it."


This speaks to me for a lot of reasons but mostly because on the majority of my days I have many, many things on my plate. Sometimes a few of those things are precariously perched on the edge just waiting to fall.


I have been blessed by so many people that God has placed in my life who have known when my plate was overflowing and have stepped in to help me scrape it all back to the middle of my plate and have picked up the peices that have fallen off!

This passage points out something that should be so obvious but yet often I overlook it. "Focus on Christ"!


My to-do list hasn't been haunting me these days. Believe me it's there and it's long but I'm no longer overwhelmed by it on a daily basis. Each day somethings get added and some things get subtracted...same as a few months ago but my focus has changed.

God has been showing me the error of my ways through this study...it's not about how much you are getting done, it's about my motivation behind it. Every day of my life the Lord has faithfully waited each day for me to call on Him...every single day...not just when it fits in his schedule, not just when he didn't have anything else going...every single day! I just finally started returning the favor!

Be still before your Lord and a lot of the things that we think we should be doing don't seem quite as important anymore after He gives us his perspective on things.

Each day is a success if we are just doing the ONE THING God called us to do that day. If we just listen he will tell us what it is. We can never go wrong when God's in charge.

Each day do ONE THING to bring glory to the kingdom of God!

It doesn't matter if the world thinks its a big thing or a small thing...if its a God-thing, its a good thing!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the last sentence!

Lindsay said...

Great post! Seriously one of my favorites!!

I'm so glad you're enjoying that book :) I LOVED it!!

Thank you so much for making my list a little less today :) You are appreciated!!

Sarah said...

Thinking I need to get me that book...

Katie said...

Did you finish that book? Your blog has inspired me. I know I have a hard time myself with perspective and motivation at times. It was refreshing to read your blog...it was touching.