"handies" -- player slaps the ball with an open hand
"fisties" -- player punches the ball with a closed fist
"stoppies" -- players stops the ball and then pushes it with two hands to restart the ball
"stophandies" -- player stops the ball and then slaps it with an open hand to restart the ball
"roppies" -- player touches the rope (aka the tether); if you do this you are out
"helpies" -- players waiting in line hit the ball for you...like a partner
"bubbles" -- bouncing the ball with two hand (aka hot potato) before hitting the ball; if you do this more than three time you are out
"fistiehandie" -- player hits the ball with both a fist and an open hand at the same time
Justin is an avid tether ball player. It cracks me up to hear the stories about who did what when. I had to just document a few of these terms and stories like this:
"Me and Sergio were playing each other. First I did a "fistie" then he did a "handie". The ball went around two times and he beat me."
End of story...sometimes they are more elaborate, more back and forth but Sergio is one of the reigning champs of the tether ball court so to "stay in" that long was quite an accomplishment. So Justin tells me.
I don't know if this is Justin's language exclusively but I assume its the common language of the tether ball courts around Hermiston at least!:)
It's so funny to hear him talking about playing tether ball. So different from the tether ball court drama from my grade school days. Justin is just all about retelling the details of who did what...not so much about if it was fair just the basic facts.
So I guess this is tether ball through blue goggles instead of pink!:)
5 comments:
This cracks me up. Thanks for the low-down! I'm going to need it for 2nd grade next year :)
Love to you this evening... after a long day! :)
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!
Oh the memories of playing tether ball it used to be my favorite but I don't remember the lingo.
nicole...I didn't remember having any lingo either...maybe this is new for this generation...I had to have Justin write it all down for me so I could post it:)
Ok, I thought I knew all the teatherball lingo...but you taught me a few I didn't know!
Elly loves teatherball as well...but we definately hear about it through the pink goggles!
Hey I get those same stories from Harley, about who did what playing tether ball. Harley is infatuated with the game! She made her own tether ball in her room with her floor lamp. She plays it non stop if she is unable to go outside. One of our projects this summer is to set her up a tether ball outside. And it looks like the lingo is pretty consistent throughout Hermiston elementary schools.
Post a Comment