An interesting quote from:
Mrs. G
on Pioneer Woman's Home schooling blog
the topic..."Don't Let Your Kids grow up to be Deadbeats"
I know what you are thinking...why is she reading homeschooling blogs?? She works full-time plus some and her kids go to public school...
Those are both two very true facts and facts that I do not see changing anytime soon. That said my life could change at any given moment and go in a completely new {and unexpected} direction...
I digress...back to topic
I read this blog from time to time because raising kids is raising kids...there are all ways to get the job done and I for one will look for resources anywhere I can find them. I read, reflect...if I like it I work it in...if I don't I throw it away...not literally of course but it just doesn't get assimilated into my "parenting book".
Anyway back to the quote...
"Expect great things from your children so that they expect great things from themselves, but realize it takes more than expectation to make great things happen. Parenting can be hardcore hard. We have to be devoted and consistent in instilling the notion that running a home and family takes work, honorable and privileged (and, ok ok, boring and tedious) work. Stewarding and shepherding ain’t for sissies, so buck up, folks, and put your kids to work! Don’t start with the coal mine…too much equipment. Start with the bathtub…all you need is some Ajax and a sponge."
I especially like this part...
"Expect great things from your children so that they expect great things from themselves..."
3 comments:
Love it. Thinking that I need to check out that blog.
I love that we both blogged about her today! :)
This is AWESOME! Thanks for posting it ... I love that bold part the best ... thinking I need it in my classroom somewhere :)
Post a Comment