December 4, 2008

Advent wreath

Advent...the "coming" or "arrival" of Jesus Christ!!

The observance of Advent as well as the observance of Christmas began in the fourth century. When the church began to observe Christmas...the celebration of the birth of Christ...the church also recognized Advent...the preparation for the celebration of Christ's birth. In the early church the "preparation period" or Advent lasted from three to seven weeks. It is now traditionally observed on each of the four Sundays proceeding Christmas and on Christmas Eve.

The term advent has several meanings

the Advent of the Lord in flesh at Christmas

His Advent in Word and Spirit

the final Advent when our Lord will return in bodily in glory

Last Sunday we prepared our Advent wreath. The boys and I made the candle holders with a homemade clay of sort. It was made of flour, glue, salt, lemon juice and water. A little on the smelly side but it worked.

The artisans at work.






The completed holders


these are mine

And our completed wreath!!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

You do such an amazing job with traditions with your boys!!

Anonymous said...

Oh' my goodness, this is a wonderful idea! It turned out beautiful!!!

Katie said...

Who needs Martha for ideas when they have you?! You come up with the greatest projects....I'm still contemplating doing a gumdrop forest like you guys did last year :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful wreath!

Lindsay said...

I love the photos of your boys looking so proud of what they've made :)

You definitely are keeping Christmas alive and well in your hearts and in your home!

Anonymous said...

By the way, still waiting for that big reveal!

Kailin said...

I love this! We never did any advent activities when I was a kid...I never even really knew what it meant:( You kids will have such great memories!