November 12, 2009

Fine and Good

Me: "Hi. How are you?"

Other person: "Fine. How are you?"

Me: "Good"

--------------------------------------

It's a greeting that is repeated over and over as we make our way through the day.

It's just known that if someone asks you how you are, you are to say fine or good.

But what if you are not fine or good...then what?

In that little exchange is anyone really prepared for anything other than fine or good.

What if while you are saying fine or good you feel like a liar?

-------------------------------------

Truth is we aren't prepared for anything other than fine or good. We need the people in our lives to be fine. To be dependable. To be consistant.

Wonder how things would change if we made room for people to be other than {fine} and {good}?

--------------------------------------

In case you are reading today and you are not {fine} or {good}, here's some comfort from the One who loves us the most:

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's might hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

LOVE you!! Happy Thursday!

denise said...

True. It always feels awkward to answer any differently.

Btw - that lazy courier pigeon finally took flight today. Sorry!

Amy said...

I needed that message, thanks. Off to read the rest of it now.

Misty said...

Love You!!!!!!!!

Michelle said...

Fine and Good are something I make an effort to not say. :) There is a-not-so-appropriate acronymn that goes with FINE- I would share with you off the record sometime.

I definately can relate. Sometimes I ask the person, 'do you really want to know?' if I am willing to really tell them. :)

Hope that Friday is INCREDIBLE!

Lindsay said...

You're a blessing. Thanks for your honest heart!