June 1, 2008

Weekend Retreat

In a word it was RELAXING!!!


It was quiet, the schedule was laid back and there was a whole lot of laziness!!


A perfect for a retreat after a very busy time of the year for us!!

So taking pictures out the side window as you are driving down the freeway at 70 mph doesn't make for the best quality but I still like to take them!:) It was sooooo windy the night we drove down. The river is very full right now and the waves were big (for a river). It seemed like we were driving right next to it. A little creepy at times and the wind was whipping the Yukon all over the road.

Ted was two hands on the wheel and not real chatty since he was focusing on the road. I was mostly thinking about our weekend ahead, about leaving the kids behind, and clicking away.

I have traveled down the Columbia Gorge more times than I can count. With friends, with family, with sports teams...for many different reasons, at many different ages, at many different times. As I get older the things I think about have changed and that interests me.

A barge...a true find when we were kids and still interesting to me as an adult. Although it was the site of it that interested me as a kid and now I think... "I wonder how much diesel it takes to push that barge down the river?" "How much does that cost?" "Wonder how much the farmer got for the wheat that it is carrying?" "Wonder if it is wheat from someone I know?" "Or if it is even wheat...could be any number of grain products that are grown in our area?" "Where will the grain end up?"


The windmills...not even around when I was a kid. But every hilltop seems to be adorned with them now. We are going GREEN folks!

More grain...Tidewater this time!

The Dalles Dam...water was boiling out of the spillway and the wind was whipping it around...it looked like sea surf. More renewable energy!! We are definitely an energy needy society. Not one piece of our technology is worth a dime without POWER!! I always have loved watching the water spill out...what an amazing piece of engineering...to contain the power of the river and turn it into electricity for the masses!

Shouldn't there be snow on that mountain?

The Bridge of the Gods...almost there! Seriously freaking little trip over the river on this metal bridge. Not my favorite...hence the blurry pic...think my hands were shaking a bit...



The view from our patio...


Us!:)

Breakfast...very yummy!! I think Ted was getting annoyed at my camera! See our balcony in the background...
This place was first class...fresh flowers on the tables!!
More from our balcony...lots of trees around us...
My book, my coffee, my balcony patio...I miss it...can't wait for our deck to be done so I can sit on it to read and drink coffee...so peaceful...
We took a walk on Saturday morning...here are some of the sites...

Lots of wild flowers



A little creek...


And home again we went...from the rain and the lush green EVERYTHING...back to the desert!:) Its great to getaway but there's really no place like home!!

And seriously, what is with the GAS PRICES!?!??!?!

15 comments:

Lindsay said...

I LOVE this post!

1 - because you took pictures as you were riding along (documenting LIFE)
2 - because you were able to get away for a couple of days
3 - because it's REAL. As I read it I can hear you saying the words and I can picture those same places in my mind.

Happy Sunday to you friend!

Sarah said...

Looks like you guys had a hoot! Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

Sounds fun. quiet. restful. much needed. like some great memories were made :)

Barges, I would like to go with you, I would like to sail the ocean blue.... :)

Kailin said...

I love that you two got to have a weekend away...it looks like it was beautiful!

And the Gorge brings back memories for me as well...one of which involved a deer, HITCHHIKING, and a Large hispanic family...sound familiar???

Kristie said...

oh Kailin I haven't thought about that trip for a long time!!

I remember being so freaked out!! Luckily they were a nice family!:) Seriously who in their right minds hitchhikes in the middle of the night on a mountain road??? ahhh to be young and dumb again!:)

It did turn out to be a fun weekend though!!

Melissa said...

I love this post.

I love all your pictures.

I love all your insight!

This place looks beautiful! Have a wonderful weekend!

Michelle said...

Looks like you had a well deserved break from the speed of life! Blessings this week. 4 more days! Yahoo!

Crystal said...

Those weekends are so special! Treasure the time away!

Tiffany said...

oooh that place looks really pretty...and relaxing! Glad you got to get away!

Stacy B said...

This looks so great! I love that you documented your entire trip. I can totally relate to driving over The Bridge of the Gods. When we did it that weekend we were stranded in the ice and snow storm I seriously drove about 5 mph over it. Scary!

Love this post.

Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds like so much fun and great job with the pictures!!!

Leslie said...

WOW! It looks like you guys had a great weekend away! What a beautiful place! Great pictures to capture it all too!

Patzke's said...

Glad you had a good time and were able to get away together for some time alone.

cassandra said...

So nice to get away so that we can come back and appreciate the everyday. Loved the photos and the recap.

kara said...

You looked like you enjoyed your husband and some down time!