November 8, 2006

{In a word, well maybe two}

How many times a day do we tell our children to say please and thank you? I think I've heard myself say about a million times to my boys..."Now, what do you say?" From the time that our children can talk we start impressing upon them that they need to be polite, say please, say thank you, be respectful. How often do we tell ourselves that same thing? As adults how many times have we forgotten the thank you? How many times have we made a request without saying please? Have we been as polite as we could be? Have we made a cutting comment without even really thinking twice? Were our children watching or listening to us when we did? I wonder...maybe if we reminded ourselves to say it more, maybe we wouldn't have to remind our children so much?

Webster's says the following:

To appreciate
to think well of; to recognize gratefully; to estimate the quality of; to be fully or sensetively aware of

To show appreciation:

To show grateful recognition, as of a favor


This was a discussion topic at my bible study tonight and it got me thinking. My children are watching everything I do, everything I say! I pray that they will learn to appreciate the people and gifts in their lives because of what they see me do, not because I'm standing behind them saying, "Now what do you say?"! Others are watching us too! What will she say? What will she do? Who am I representing God for today I wonder? Did I already blow it?


I'm challenging myself to take a little extra time to make sure to say thank you! To tell the people that are in my life...I appreciate you! To show the kindness and the love that God has shown me to those around me. I know its a lofty goal, one I'm sure to fail at before I succeed, but if I never try I'm sure to fail! For those of you reading this take this as your opportunity to hold me accountable and call me to the carpet if you feel it is necessary! You never know when your appreciation might be the very thing that person in your life needed on that very day! So here's to RAK ( at new term I recently came across...random acts of kindness...very cool don't you think)! 'Cause seriously couldn't we all use a little more kindness in our lives!;)

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Love it. Thank you for your friendship. I like the little pictures too. Love Mel

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome.

Anonymous said...

loved reading this!

Lindsay said...

LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing... and I truly appreciate You!!