November 5, 2006

{Adrenalin}

Yet again another trip to the E.R. with William! Here he is today still a bit puffy and a little doped up on Benadryl! He had a severe allergic reaction to a strawberry additive in some fruit snacks (our best guess)! It woke him up and when he came down the hall to us you could barely recognize him. He was so swollen and blotchy he looked like someone had beaten him! He was short of breath and really disoriented! I stuffed some Benedryl in him and Ted took off with him to the E.R. Apparently in crisis I think alphabetically because Cam and Katie were the first people that I could think of. Grateful that they understood my paniced request for help and Katie rushed over. I was able to think clearly enough to call Mom to come and relieve Katie before I headed out to meet Ted and William at the E.R. The Benadryl had already kicked in and he was feeling much better by then. The doc checked him out and sent us home with orders to keep up the Benadryl for up to six days or until the swelling is all gone!

We were all very scared for a brief time! It scared him the most though...this afternoon when I went to put him to bed he told me that he couldn't sleep in his bed anymore because it made his mouth yucky! I explained to him that it wasn't his bed that it was the fruit snacks...he may never eat another fruit snack again!


Very thankful for the people at Pfizer right now! I would recommend that everyone keep a bottle of this in their house at all times!

The E.R. doc said that children can be extremely sensitive to food additives! It may be a certain brand or a certain type but you won't really know until they have their first reaction!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to go and check to see if I have a bottle of Benadryl right now!! I'm glad that Will is feeling better...He's such a cutie, even when he is a bit puffy. :)

Katie

Shannon said...

Oh my! How very scary! I am so glad the little guy had the strength to come and get you guys!
and I will be going to walmart for a bottle of that stuff today!

Awesome picture of William by the way...despite the puffiness.

Anonymous said...

Oh' man. SCARY.
I am soooo glad he is doing better now.
Happy Week.

Lindsay said...

I'm so thankful that everything is ok... God gave you strength, wisdom to do just the right things!
Happy Monday to you friend and hang in there Will!

Melissa said...

Poor guy. Those ER trips are fun huh!?? Glad to see him better! Mel